Steel pipes are of different sizes and serve many purposes. They are used in drainage systems and fencing, just to mention a few. Cutting of pipes can be done quickly using many tools that are manufactured purposefully for different thicknesses and diameters of pipes. For home repairs, a manual pipe cutter can perform well while a more sophisticated one is required for contractors. Let us have a look at the best tool for cutting steel pipes.
Best Tool For Cutting Steel Pipe
Manual Pipe Cutters
Hinged pipe cutters are good enough to cut through 2 – 12 inches diameter of steel pipes. Some types have an option of two-person cutting, especially where larger pieces or extensive diameters are involved.
This type of pipe cutter gives room for small rotations since it’s designed to reach pipes through narrow allowances. They have guide wheels of at most 2 inches in diameter that ensure cutting is done in straight paths around pipes.
Tips for cutting steel with a pipe cutter-
- Make sure you are well protected by wearing gloves and glasses.
- Estimate the steel pipe and draw where the cut will be.
- Place the cutter over the end of the pipe and move it until it reaches the cutting point.
- Holding the handle of the instrument, wrap the cutter around the pipe until the blade cuts it. If you are using a custom cutter by hand, you will need to fix it after 3-4 turns. Regardless of which device is used, it only takes a few turns.
- If necessary, deburr the cut end with a milling file or sandpaper.
Orbital pipe saws cut almost all types of metal pipes. They manually rotate the machine around the steel pipe, and a built-in electric motor then cuts the pipe during this process.
This type of cutter is usually cheap, with a cutting range between 0.25 to 12 inches of diameter. They typically have properly guided cuts that are without any burr.
However, a reciprocating saw with pipe cutting blade does best at the site with a cutting range that lies between 1 and 12 inches of diameter. A reciprocating saw has little weight and can be pneumatic or electrically operated. It can be used to cut stainless steel alongside a handheld rotary tool with access to a cut-off.
How to cut steel pipe with pipe saws-
- Using colored ink, mark the place you want to cut
- Clamp the steel pipe firmly on a working table
- Start your pipe saw machine and cut through the marked region
Apart from flame cutters’ usual purpose, they can be used to cut steel pipes with diameters of 4 to 80 inches. A chain-driven machine keeps the tool within its cutting distance hence preventing it from overlapping.
This tool takes up little space and is strong; thus can be used at home as well as on-site. Moreover, flame cutters are radio instructed with a built-in electric motor that makes them effective and efficient.
How to cut the steel pipe with flame cutters-
- Wear safety gear such as goggle to protect your eyes
- Clamp down your steel pipe in a firm position using a clamp
- Choose the ideal flame tip for achieving your desired cuts
- Start the flame cutter and slowly pass it through the pipe to achieve accurate and error-free cuts
The band saw is an excellent machine. It cuts any size of any material. The machine uses a cooling system where a lot of water is continuously poured over it over time to cool it down.
This cooling enables it to cut well and makes its blade durable. Beams, tubes, solid rods, etc. can be cut using this machine.
How to cut pipe steel with the band saw-
- Make you have used the correct eye and ear protective gears
- Draw the cut line on the pipe steel
- Please insert the correct blade for cutting steel and fit it correctly
- Adjust the bandsaw into the right setting
- Plugin the bandsaw and switch on the machine
- Cut your steel pipe gently and firmly
Cut Steel with a Hacksaw
The most perfect tool is a hacksaw. It performs classical tasks. They are of low price, compact, and are used with a lot of ease. They are recommended out at their outlets because of their extraordinary work that other cutting tools cannot perform.
A hack saw can be used to cut steep angles alongside pipes, which is not an easy process unless it uses it.
Tips for cutting steeps pipe with a hacksaw-
- Always use protective gears when cutting steel pipes
- Please choose the right blade for the task and make sure it’s inserted correctly.
- Ensure that the blade is firm, correctly aligned, and taut.
- Use a clamp to hold the pipe steel in place
- To start the cut, create a series of one-way strokes against the direction of the teeth
- Take your hacksaw and slowly cut through the pipe steel.
DIY tasks are a fun way to spend an afternoon. However, if you want to make your own furniture at home, you must ensure you know what you are doing. Or else, you may get injured, or your final task won’t turn out as fine as you planned.
Cutting Steel pipe is a vital phase in many DIY projects. With a few key guidelines and the right tools, cutting the Steel pipe at home is easy.