Best Scroll Saw Review in 2020 with User Guide | Saw Reviewed
A scroll saw isn't a jigsaw. It is more heavy-duty and has a knob that allows it to be adjusted according to different speeds. The artisans and wood craftsmen use it to make sophisticated and precise cuts. Even the small, expensive sculptures which you buy on craft stores are the byproduct of this machine.
Most people think that a scroll saw can be used for wood projects.
This isn't true at all. It is a resourceful machine that intricate curves in metal and other materials too. Usually, beginners opt for power jigsaw for other kinds of materials. But the thing they don't comprehend is, in reality, a scroll saw cut the materials more delicately than a power jigsaw.
Furthermore, it isn't hard to operate it too. One can use it without any trouble. It, in fact, more easy to use it than a hand coping saw or fretsaw.
# Our choice
Rockwell BladeRunner X2 Portable Tabletop Saw
- 1 The Best Scroll Saw Comparison and Short Review
- 1.1 DEWALT DW788 1.3 Amp 20-Inch Scroll Saw
- 1.2 Delta Power Tools 40-694 20 In. Variable Speed Scroll Saw
- 1.3 Rockwell Bladerunner ×2 Table Top Saw
- 1.4 WEN 3920 16-Inch Two-Direction Scroll Saw
- 1.5 Shop Fox W1713 16-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw
- 1.6 Jet 727200K Scroll Saw with Stand
- 1.7 Excalibur EX-21K 21" Tilting Head Scroll Saw
- 1.8 PS Wood Machines 21" Scroll Saw
- 1.9 PORTER CABLE 18" Variable Speed Scroll Saw with Stand
- 1.10 Using A Scroll Saw | Comprehensive Guide
The Best Scroll Saw Comparison and Short Review
If you are reading this post, it means you are willing to buy the best scroll saw for your important project to make.
We have revealed the usage of this machine and explained some important features of it too. Therefore, we are confident shopping for one shouldn't be hard.
The following scroll saws use the latest components. Almost all of them are top-rated and make sure your project is finished in the best possible way. While reading the reviews, all you need is to pick out the key features that meet your individual needs.
DEWALT DW788 Scroll Saw
Delta Power Tools 40-694 20 In. Variable Speed Scroll Saw
Rockwell BladeRunner X2 Portable Tabletop Saw
Wood- 1-1/2" PVC- 1-1/4"
WEN 3920 Scroll Saw
Shop Fox W1713 Scroll Saw
Jet 727200K Scroll Saw
Excalibur EX-21K Tilting Head Scroll Saw
PORTER-CABLE Scroll Saw
DEWALT DW788 1.3 Amp 20-Inch Scroll Saw
After assessing and using this machine, the first word out of your mouth would be 'Wow', we are 100% confident.
It can be a little bit expensive for some people, but its efficiency is absolutely at a whole different level. For example, it is immensely easy to handle it with variable speed control.
Some machines are efficient and it becomes tough for some people who work at different speeds. On the contrary, this exceptional product's design is compact and convenient, and it keeps your workflow smooth. With variable speed controls, you are also allowed to make quick, accurate adjustments. This also assists in giving cleaner results.
Apart from this, it has a unique arm design for accurate cuts.
This is something you would love the most, especially if you are a pro. The double parallel arm delivers on almost all fronts. It doesn't matter whether you work on custom projects or unique trim pieces. This best scroll saw will keep the blade perpendicular to whatever you are working on.
Pros & Cons
- 1You can save a lot of time with tool-free blade changes and adjustable table.
- 2This scroll saw has a heavy-duty feel but it is small enough to move easily.
- 3It has a double parallel link arms that deliver on almost all fronts.
- 4It keeps your work surface clear of unwanted debris.
Con: It is a tad more expensive compared to other scroll saw in the market.
Delta Power Tools 40-694 20 In. Variable Speed Scroll Saw
If you work on intricate projects mostly, Delta Power Tools 20 In. Variable Scroll Saw is the best option for you.
For a novice, it appears the same as all the other products in the market. But, in reality, it is a different animal. 99% scroll saws blade move at least 0.04" inch back and forth. It doesn't matter how much flat the surface is, it still moves especially if you are working on high speed or thick material.
Luckily, this isn't the case with this one.
The movement of the blade stays super stable, or at least a lot better than other models. It stays still on a wider range of speed adjustments. For that reason, you can work on intricate projects without getting frustrated.
Pros & Cons
- 1Its speed can be adjusted from 400 to 1,750 SPM.
- 2The blade clamp allows quick, easy blade changes.
- 3It is designed specifically for intricate projects.
Con: This saw doesn't come with a stand.
Rockwell Bladerunner ×2 Table Top Saw
Have you ever thought of having one saw that cuts everything for you, from wood, metal, aluminum to tile and plastic? If so, then this type of saw is an unsullied choice. And it is very easy to setup (literally within seconds). And you don’t even need all that space to keep it.
For a multi-purpose saw, this tool has a compact lightweight and portable build. The table top has a handle that lets you carry it around easily without any hassle. It also has a large rip fence.
The fence also has a hold down and splitter that holds the material you are cutting firmly, so it doesn’t slip off while cutting.
A peculiar feature of this saw is the interchangeable blade. You can choose to use either the jigsaw blade, the circular blade, or any of the five blades depending on the material you are working with. This change of blade can be done without the use of a tool.
With this, you can carry out different types of cuts like the mitre, scroll, rip, and the inside cuts.
The cutting capacity of the saw is also dependent on the material. For wood, it is 1.5 inches, 1.25 inches for PVC pipe, and 3/8 inches for aluminum and ceramic.
Cleaning the Rockwell Bladerunner ×2 saw is easy due to the built-in vacuum port. It also has a blade holding compartment to help you store your blades.
On the downside, the saw is not suitable for heavy-duty work because of its motor power and the cuts are not very accurate.
- Multi-purpose saw (suitable for wood, metal, tile, and porcelain)
- Lightweight compact and portable tool
- Built-in vacuum port
- Great for small home projects
- Interchangeable blades
WEN 3920 16-Inch Two-Direction Scroll Saw
If you are looking for an economical option with all the great feature, you can opt for WEN 3920 16-Inch Two-Direction Scroll Saw.
It is a great saw for the price and it is easy to use too. The WEN manufactures have tried their best to pack it with all the top-notch features.
For example, it has a tilting table with 16-inch depth and sturdy cast iron base. Most scroll saws don't come with that kind of spacious and depth. But this scroll saw table facilitates in cutting larger pieces of wood. Furthermore, if you are a person who works on different variations, it can help you with that as well. It easily bevels up to 45 degrees left.
Also, the sturdy cast iron base is a perfect option for those who don't want to deal with vibration. It limits the vibration during operation on a massive scale.
In case you are focused on the speed more than the vibration due to the nature of your work, you are in luck in that aspect as well. It can be adjusted anywhere from 550 to 1600 strokes per minute.
Pros & Cons
- 1This WEN product can handle both pinned and pinless blades.
- 2It can easily handle large pieces of woods with 16-inch depth.
- 3Its foot lock clamp also helps in preventing the work pieces from shaking.
- 4There is a flexible LED work light too that illuminates the work surface.
Con: The tension lever on the back of this unit isn't solid.
Shop Fox W1713 16-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw
It is a good starter machine for beginners. We like to put it in our best scroll saw list.
Before we shed light on its feature, there is one drawback in this product that you should consider before investing in it - Mounting it can be a real challenge.
The main reason behind this issue is the holes are difficult to market. On top of that, there isn't template too that can facilitate you in that. Therefore, if you don't know anything about the scroll saw, this one con can invite a lot of trouble for you. However, an expert can handle that aspect rather well by making the template on its own.
When it comes to its feature, the most prominent is its ability to make blade changes easy with the included adapter. There is also a table tilt and dust extraction feature. You can tilt the table without any trouble for horizontal angle cuts. In other words, you can cut at angles from 0-45 degree. It appears that the company has paid close attention to details.
Pros & Cons
- 1The variable speed control gives extra cutting capacity.
- 2It provides a gooseneck work light dust blower and port.
- 3This model accepts standard plain and pin end saw blades.
- 4Air nozzle blows air at the cutting location to keep the surface area clean.
Con: Mounting this product can be a real challenge, as the template isn't provided.
Jet 727200K Scroll Saw with Stand
Need a scroll saw that works flawlessly and as advertised?
Get Jet 727200K Scroll Saw. It is made in Taiwan and it comes with many different features that make it one of the best products in the market.
If you are a pro and tired of dealing with a lot of vibration in your machine, this is something you need. Though it has the smallest amount of vibration at the highest speed, on the whole, you won't feel any kind of vibration while doing DIY projects.
The motor of this machine provides ample power that assists in cutting all kinds of cuts. Especially, if you usually work on 2" thick wood, it won't create any trouble. In fact, the cuts would be beautiful.
Some consumers have tested its efficiency against thicker materials as well. It worked competently and facilitate them in completing their project quickly too.
Pros & Cons
- 1This scroll saw comes with stand, foot pedal, and some blades.
- 2All of its components are made from quality material.
- 3Its stand can be adjusted to 4 different heights and raises work surface too.
- 4It comes with a 5-year warranty.
Con: It can take some time to install it on the stand.
Excalibur EX-21K 21" Tilting Head Scroll Saw
The Excalibur Tilting Head Scroll Saw is pricey. Perhaps, that's why, it isn't the best selling too, as its high price is huge risk consumers.
It is developed by the manufacturers of General International Company, and we totally agree that its price point is the only reason that's damaging its reputation. Otherwise, when we canvass its features, they are professional and transcend the expectations.
The only issue is you can find all these features in a tad more economical product too.
It has a unique design that delivers a stable platform. It is hard to feel any vibration while you are cutting straight or an angle.
The only thing which you will find attractive in it is tilting operation. With other scroll saws, you have to tilt the table to acquire certain angle. On the other hand, with this scroll saw, the head tilts 45 degrees instead of the table.
This thing gives it an edge over other products in the market and makes it the best scroll saw and easy to use too.
Pros & Cons
- 1You can control the work piece better on its flat surface.
- 2Its head tilts 45 degrees rather than the table.
- 3The package includes food pedal/switch and adjusting height metal stand.
- 4It gives 400 to 1550 strokes per minute.
Con: It is so expensive.
PS Wood Machines 21" Scroll Saw
Don't want to pay thousands of dollar for an exceptional scroll saw?
No problem at all. There is another great option for those want to keep their money safe and acquire one of the best products in the market too - PS Wood Machines 21" Scroll Saw.
It has a lot of features that will surprise you and make you feel that you own the best product on the market. Especially for beginners, it is a lucky thing as from simplicity to functionality, maintenance to dependability, everything is up to the market. You don't have a deal with an issue like many other scroll saws in the market and you can do the accurate adjustment on your own without any trouble.
Everything about changing the blade is utterly straightforward too. It can be done rather comfortably above the table. Moreover, experts believe that this PS Wood Machines product also offers one of the largest tables in the market with 5 different speed. And, we agree with wit this feature as well. If you are specifically looking for a large table with a scroll saw, you won't get anything better than this one.
This scroll is also rather quiet and smooth. Unlike many other saws in the market, you can carry on a normal conversation while working with it. Perhaps, that's why some people use it indoors too instead of using it at the industrial places only.
Pros & Cons
- 1It is quiet enough to listen to the music and carry on the conversation.
- 2It is made in the USA and it is very well designed too.
- 3This product doesn't require a lot of maintenance, you can use it for a long-term.
- 4It offers one of the largest tables in the market.
Con: It is currently unavailable online.
PORTER CABLE 18" Variable Speed Scroll Saw with Stand
Well, it is better than the price suggests.
It is a perfect machine for almost all kinds of professional work but the company and some experts recommend it for inside cuts especially. Due to its incredible design and 18" variable speed, it gives a lot better inside cuts than many expensive options in the market.
It has a built-in light and easy to adjust dust blower too. Both of them are a great addition in this machine. In its operation, on the whole, it is perhaps standard, but the company tried to win the competition by introducing those feature which other competitors miss.
They didn't only make it affordable but also allowed their customers to relish long hours operation. You can use this best scroll saw on an industrial level for hours. There won't be any maintenance or performance issue. In fact, some consumers have used this product for 20 hours straight. The only thing you need is to get the feel of the tension for cutting blades. Once you acquire it, it becomes easy to work with it smoothly.
Lastly, for inner cuts, you won't struggle at all with the blades. It is immensely easy to unhook and rehook the blades in it.
Pros & Cons
- 1This unit can be operated on the bench top too without the stand.
- 2Its inside cut feature is perfect for those who run a small woodworking business.
- 3It has an aluminum dual tilting table.
- 4You can quickly and easily change pin or plain blades.
Con: The armature that holds the blade can deal with lateral movement.
Using A Scroll Saw | Comprehensive Guide
Well, experts already know about it.
But you are a beginner, there are a few things you must comprehend.
- Get Safety Equipment... Without safety equipment, don't use this machine. It can hurt you and send you in the emergency ward. While buying a scroll saw, it is better to get safety goggle, at least. Though there is other equipment too, like jacket and etc safety goggles protect your eyes from broken blades and sawdust.
- Cover Yourself Well... You can wear a professional suit, but if it is not possible, there are a few things you should care about. Use the dust mask. You can get it from most hardware stores. In addition, if you have long sleeves, make sure you have folded them before working with a scroll saw. It shouldn't get caught in the blade.
- Mode of Operation... Understanding the mode of operation of your model is imperative. Without comprehending how exactly it works, it can create trouble for you. Usually, the most common one is the parallel arm. You can find it in almost all the models. But there are some specific brands too that have different kinds of modes for experts like C-Shaped Arm in which the blade is attached in between the ends of C arm.
- Manufacturer's Instructions... Following the manufacturer's instructions is immensely necessary too. Since, especially for a beginner, it would be tough to perceive how to bolt, screw, or clamp the machine onto the surface. Therefore, strictly follow what's in the instruction manual. In case something baffles you, you can contact the customer support members. They can also help you in securing the scroll saw correctly.
- The Cutting Speed... If there is one feature that should glean all the attention in a scroll saw, it is the cutting speed. The speed of the scroll saw should deal with different work pieces. You are perhaps a woodcutter, but there is a high possibility you would use it on different material too, which require high cutting speed for efficiency.
- Set the Tension Properly... Do you know how to set the tension of this machine properly? Since, if the tensions aren't set according to the requirement, you won't be able to cut the material proficiently. For example, you must tighten the blade until it moves only 1/8 inches. This condition can change according to the models too.
- Blade Control... Speed without the blade control is nothing. Blade control is the backbone of the best scroll saw. It plays a significant role on any saws, not just scroll saws. If you are buying this machine from a credible brand, you will notice some adjustable settings in it that allows you to control the blade. If you know how to control the adjustment, you can make it perform well on different tasks for extensive uses.
- Get a Bright Lamp... Having a lamp for using a scroll saw isn't essential. But mostly the scroll saws come with a light source. You need to turn on the power switch of the machine on in order to get light of it. There can be a button as well on the top which you have to press to make it work. If a scroll saw is great but doesn't have a light source, get a bright lamp and position it well so that you can see your work fully.
- Types of Blade... Yes, the blades come in different types too. All of them are used for their own specific purposes. The most popular types are skip tooth, double skip tooth, crown or two-way, spiral blades, and etc. Furthermore, there are special metal cutting blades and diamond blades too. Metal cutting blades are used for cutting steel, while the diamond blades are used for cutting glasses. They are often coated too.
- Throat and Depth... The throat and depth of the machine is something even many experts don't know about. It is something which is missed utterly while buying a scroll saw. Though it is imperative to know about it if you want to use your scroll saw in the long term. The only simple rule you must remember is in order to be a versatile machine, it should be pertinent for a scroll saw to have sufficient throat measurement.
- Reverse Tooth Blade... Can you install a reverse tooth blade in your scroll saw? It is important to find out this feature as the reverse tooth blade assists in cutting softwood and plywood. Though it has its own cons like the cutting is slow and it produces more heat it but it is better to have it too particularly if you are the master of plywood.
- Know the Rules... If you have already used a best scroll saw, you perhaps already know about the rules of using it. But if you are a novice and buy a scroll saw time and time again, remember that there are a few rules you have to follow if you want it to work in the long run, such as you must set it to a slow speed if the material is too thin.
- Support System... Without a great support system, a scroll saw is good for nothing. There are a few important features that you should look for when it comes to the support system. The support system which is made from cast iron or cast aluminium is great. It absorbs the vibration rather well and great for rigidity and stability too.
- Cleaning System... The cleaning system is also as important as a support system. If the scroll saw is coming with dust cleaners, as they are the part of modern versions, it is utterly great. Since it is necessary to have a dust cleaner to avoid health issues. Apart from this, dust can be a hindrance for your project. It lessens the visibility.
- Popular Brands... Lastly, make sure you are buying your scroll saw from a popular brand. We have many credible brands in the market that are famous for producing top-rated scroll saws like Delta, Bosch, Ryobi, DeWalt, and etc. But if you are an international customer, ensure they ship their products in your region as well.
Invest in one of these scroll saws if you want to improve the professionalism in your work.
All of these models are from popular and respected brands. You can make puzzle pieces and bevelled edges with them rather straightforwardly. They are quiet and using them is relaxing. You can also use them for the infinite possibility for creativity and artistry.
Check relative articles-